When Lift Upgrading Makes Sense for Businesses
It’s rare that the Tower Lifts team recommends a commercial lift replacement. Which is how it should be. When we’re called out to access a lift that’s giving trouble, we’re far more likely to recommend lift refurbishment or lift upgrading as the solution. In this article, we take a look at the difference between replacement, refurbishment and upgrading. We’ll consider when each of these options are appropriate, and how they fit into your lift’s life cycle.
When Should a Lift be Replaced?
There’s no absolute time limit on the length of service a lift will give. The CIBSE (Chartered Institute of Building Services Engineers) offers 25 years as the lifespan of a traction lift, and 15 years for a hydraulic lift. Signs that an older lift is moving towards decommission include:
- Your lift components are no longer supported.
- Major component replacement is required.
- An increasing risk of breakdown and slower functioning.
- Risk of LOLER non-compliance
Refurbishment or lift upgrading should always be considered prior to opting for a lift replacement.
What is a Lift Refurbishment?
When is a lift refurbishment the right option for your business? Refurbishing involves replace parts of the lift to restore its performance. Sections of the lift that are commonly refurbished include the bearing, the lift drive, the door, and the motor. The aim is to restore an ailing lift component to the condition it would have been in when new.
A refurbishment is a restoration of your original lift components. It’s a rebuild of parts that are no longer supported. As such it extends the life of your vertical transport
When Should You Choose Lift Upgrading?
Also known as lift modernisation, lift upgrading concentrates on improvement of all aspects of your lift’s performance and operation. Components are replaced with the most up-to-date equivalent which impacts positively on running costs, performance, appearance. An upgraded lift will perform well, comply with all current regulations and safety standards, and look ‘as new’.
If you want your lift to ‘look and feel like new’ without the upheaval and cost of replacing it, lift upgrading offers a cost effective way of achieving this.
Lift Upgrading/ Modernisation from Tower Lifts
If your lift is requiring regular repairs and maintenance, looking shabby, or scaring passengers off with its grumbling and groaning, it’s probably overdue an upgrade. Our lift engineers will assess each component and provide a list of upgrade recommendations. This may include:
- Replacement Car Doors. Updated car doors will offer a quieter, smoother performance which maximises the safety of passengers.
- New Hoist/Motor. Replacing this key component with optimise your lift’s performance, and guarantee the users’ safety.
- Passenger Cabin Interior. A cabin that’s seen better days is off-putting and can give a poor impression of your company. An upgraded interior improves your passengers’ experience and lifts the aesthetics of its surroundings.
- Control Panel. Users appreciate a sleek, easy-to-use panel of buttons in the lift cabin and on the exterior. This particular upgrade also improves access and enhances the look of the lift.
- Replacement Electrics. Upgrading your lift’s electrical system and controller improves its efficiency, enhances the safety, and makes your vertical transport more sustainable.
- Communications. Should the lift break down, it’s important that passengers have a reliable communications system to hand.
Working With Tower Lifts
The Tower Lifts team guarantees a professional, streamlined approach to lift upgrading, ensuring client enjoy the full range of benefits it offers. We’re a leading provider of lift design, lift installation and modernisation, for clients across a range of commercial sectors. All upgrading works are carried out by Tower Lifts engineers from initial assessment, through to completion and handover.
Once your upgrade is complete, and you’re enjoying the benefits of a fully modernised system, you’ll want your lift to remain in optimum condition. Tower Lifts offers tailored maintenance and servicing contracts. We are an ISO9001:2015 Lift Cert and UKAS approved company adhering to all current Lift Regulations.
Would you like to speak to a Tower Lifts engineer about the condition of your business lift? Call us today to find out how we can help on 01525 601099
Tower Lifts carry out design and installation on a varied range of lifts throughout the UK including:
Domestic Lifts • Food Lifts • Bespoke Platform Lifts • Service Lifts • Platform Lifts • Goods Lifts • Scenic Lifts • Heavy Duty / Car Lifts • Passenger Lifts • Dumbwaiter Lifts • MRL Lifts • Fire lifts • Residential Lifts • low-Headroom Lift